Monday, August 20, 2007

DIY It

I've thought for a very long time that one of the best gifts I could leave my kids is the creedo that you have to fend for yourself. "If you want something done, do it yourself." If you've ever been neglected, rejected, ignored, etc., then you know. It's character building, and who doesn't need a little of that?

Maybe I get some of this from my mother, because she absolutely raised us to take care of ourselves. I can unclog sinks, toilets, fix garbage disposals and vacuum cleaners, converse with plumbers and a/c repairmen (and pretend to understand them), and by God as of today I can replace a lawnmower blade!

But in all seriousness, I really want the girls to know that sometimes people just can't or aren't going to be there for them when they need them. It can be your friends, boyfriends, husbands, and even your own parents. I've been through all of it. I don't want to pass on my cynicism to them, but a little toughness around the edges can help you get through difficult times. And help you become a better handyman at that. :-) Besides, you're never completely alone.

1 comment:

mel... said...

I pride myself on being self-reliant and while I can't fix a vacuum, I'm pretty good with a power drill.