Sunday, March 14, 2010

Goodbye, Winter. I will not miss you and will not return your calls.


I love, love spring. I know it's not an original thought, but man there is nothing like playing with soil and plants to lift someone's spirits. (Notice I said plants, not weeds.) If the plants survive, these pots should be overflowing by summer and dangling low enough for Duke to destroy them. At which point I'll have to move them out to the front porch, but I'm okay with that.

These are the petunias I planted this winter, which the nursery told me wouldn't do well in the shady areas of my porch. It appears they were mistaken. Wait, are these pansies or petunias? I can never keep them straight. I think they're petunias. Help me, Elizabeth. Anyway, they've done fine with very little sun and a gardener who forgets to water them.







And above is Alan and Leigh working on the new side gate and fence to replace this one:


Pretty amazing that Duke hasn't figured out he could just breathe hard on the gate to find freedom. I think it means he likes it here and has no interest in leaving.

So I'm basically in a pretty good mood today, and that is pretty darn cool.

2 comments:

mel... said...

Those are pansies. Petunia's bloom looks like a trumpet. I remember pinching the dead blooms off when I was a kid.

jo said...

both are sticky though! I pulled out some dead flowers today at lunch. So rewarding! My daffodils and crocus are almost all up and blooming now. LOVE Spring!