So here's how the headboard came out. I realize it's not really a headboard, but that's what I'm calling it. I got the inspiration to paint and glaze stuff from Pinterest, which meant a few of my things ended up on the walls instead of in the trash and ultimately to an overcrowded landfill. I occasionally do my part to help Mother Earth.
Most of these pics were taken with my cellphone, which usually turn out blurry but oh well. Here's the screen the way I bought it, complete with dead bug parts and old springs and lots and lots of dirt:
This is after a couple coats of spray paint, antique white. I didn't try to cover it completely:
This is during the glazing process:
And this is the finished product. You probably can't see it, but I left the hook (far right) that was once used to close the screen. Thought it was kind of authentic looking.
Funny how I'm still learning stuff about this house. I didn't realize the wall in this bedroom angled up towards the ceiling until I hung the screen. I had big plans to paint the entire upstairs with the same khaki wall color as downstairs, until I saw how high one of the walls was in the middle bedroom and became slightly less interested. Anyway, I think I finally feel that this is room is complete.