Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Seriously, why Midland?

I'm not really understanding the interest Hollywood seems to have in Midland. I heard that an episode of "Heroes" had Midland as one of its settings, and then a recent episode of "Monk" features Monk's dad (I think) as a Midland truck driver. It seems it all started with the movie "Friday Night Lights," although the television series is set in a fictional Texas town named Dillon. And then I did a little research and found that six other movies have been filmed here, although none of them were as popular as "Friday Night Lights."

I don't get it. I live here, and uninteresting doesn't begin to describe this place. Midland does have two claims to fame however: Jessica falling down the well and the Bush family's home town. Neither seems reason enough to keep namedropping Midland though. But here's a possible theory. For a population of only 100,000, you wouldn't believe the money in this town. Old and new money. Just take a little drive in the ever-growing affluent neighborhoods and see all the mansions. So maybe it's possible that some of these people invest their money in Hollywood and have a small influence on what gets mentioned? Regardless, maybe I shouldn't leave the house without makeup as often as I do.

2 comments:

DeeBee said...

I've been told that people who were raised in Midland, want out badly but people who transfer in and are only there a couple of years.. love it. Let's see.... which of those people would know what they are talking about. I opted to leave and I'm trying to never return. I hope to be a success story... maybe they should do a movie about finally getting out of Midland.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you had seen Hero's...it is our favorite new show of the season! We noticed the Midland connection right off and kept forgetting to tell you all..