Monday, June 13, 2011

Banana Bread

I've made banana bread for as long as I can remember - who hasn't?  It was probably the first thing I ever baked, and I've always used my grandma's recipe, until recently.  I just felt it wasn't turning out as moist as I'd like, so I started experimenting with other recipes.  One night I fell asleep and burnt a loaf.  Another time I didn't have vanilla and had to use maple syrup.  Once I even poured the batter into the pan only to realize I forgot the pecans.  The list goes on. 

Today I wanted to try again.  I made Momma Callie's Banana Nut Bread from "Down Home With the Neely's."  I followed the recipe exactly (or so I thought), poured the batter into two small loaf pans, and as I was cleaning up realized the recipe said TWO eggs, not THREE.  Geez Louise, what is my problem?  Is my late grandma's ghost tampering with things because I'm abandoning her family-loved recipe?!

Obviously I had to wait until the bread was ready to check the results.  I was hoping the only effect would be a positive one - that the extra egg would make it more moist.  Thankfully it was very moist and very delicious.  Click on the link above if you want to try it.  The only thing I did differently was change the baking time.  Since I made two small loaves, I baked them for only 40 minutes. 

Can't wait to warm up a big slice and have it with my coffee in the morning! 

No comments: