Thursday, June 16, 2011

Told you I was going to cook more...

A friend of mine gave us a basket of fruit and vegetables that she mistakenly ordered too much of from Bountiful Baskets.  She wouldn't let me pay for any of it, so I've been diligently trying to put it all to good use.  We're big fruit and veggie eaters anyway, so it hasn't been tough.  We've had salad, banana bread, steamed artichokes (a first attempt), and we've eaten lots of watermelon, cantaloupe, and peaches.  Thanks, Cindy!!  Today I decided to try homemade french onion soup.

Check out my reflection in the spoon.  Ha.


So I let Alan know that I would see him at lunch because "remember, I'm making that french onion soup."  Being the good husband that he is, he knew not to accept a spontaneous lunch invitation from anyone today.  So I get it all ready, time the melting of the cheese just right, and have it all plated and ready for when he walks in the door.  But he didn't walk in the door.  For 20 more minutes.  I finally called only to have him tell me he was just now getting in the elevator!  Grrr...

But it didn't matter.  Turns out that when the soup continues cooking in the oven IN the bowls you're going to eat out of, it stays REALLY, REALLY hot.  It was good and I'll make it again someday, but maybe not until winter.  I'm not a soup person, and 108 degree heat is not helping matters.  Tomorrow's forecast:  110.

No comments: