Thursday, April 26, 2007

The job has low moments

I just don't have a single thing to talk about of any interest. Really - not a single thing. Go to work, blah, blah, blah. Come home, blah, blah, blah.

I'm winding up a 1st grade assignment which will finish on Monday, just in time for my interview on Tuesday. God help me - I suck at interviews. I can feel my I.Q. dropping when people ask me questions and expect me to answer intelligently. Wish me luck.

I was telling Alan about one of the little boys in class whose dad has been in jail for beating his mom (but who's home now because the mom continues to bail him out), and how this little boy is very sensitive to reprimanding because he's apparently been taught that making mistakes means you get beat for it. I've seen it when I've had to give him five minutes or whatever for breaking a class rule - he gets so upset and tries so hard not to cry but he just can't help himself. Anyway, Alan commented on how he just couldn't be exposed to these sad stories day in and day out and not be overwhelmed by it. It got me to thinking about how callous you sort of become as a teacher. There are moments when you can show some sensitivity, but for the most part you have to put it all aside and treat them just as normally as you do everyone else.

This week I had asked the students to go home and quiz their parents about their jobs. Today I asked one little boy to share what he learned, so he tells me his mom works at Victoria's Secret. I then asked what his dad does and he says, "My dad died." This little boy will be retained next year, his mom apparently doesn't give a flying you-know-what about his schooling since she's only brought him about 7 days in the last 4 weeks, and he has no dad. He also didn't get any sleep one night this week, because his mom was out with "her friend" and some other friends of hers were babysitting him and he couldn't sleep from all the noise. He's 6, maybe 7 years old.

So I watch these very moms of the boys above come to pick up their sons today after school, and both of them have pissed off looks on their faces. No smile, so arms outstretched ready to give their boys a hug, no "how was your day"....just scowls. With support like that, these boys don't have a fighting chance.

Alright, I'm rambling. Guess I had more on my mind than I thought.

1 comment:

DeeBee said...

That is the saddest thing. I think those boys need hugs and lots of them