Friday, September 07, 2007

For real

Maybe I'm into "The Hills" too much, but today while subbing I kept calling this third grade boy "Brody." His name was actually Brock, but Brody is my new favorite person on The Hills and I couldn't seem to get that name out of my mind. (Michelle will understand that the real reason this happened was because I was having to say this boy's name ALL DAY LONG as it was, and I was being driven crazy by his ADHD tendencies.) Anyway...

It was a little strange being back at this particular school today. On one hand it was like going back to a comfortable, familiar place since I spent most of the previous school year there. How nice to see so many friendly faces. On the other hand it was awkward and humbling, because every faculty member and even some former students understood that I wasn't a "real teacher" yet, that I haven't succeeded yet in getting a position. Those words are in quotes because one student from last year asked, "Mrs. Schaeffer, are you going to be a real teacher some day?"

Yes, I am. And I just have to assume that the next few months of subbing are going to prove useful for when I do get to put "real" in front of my title.

3 comments:

DeeBee said...

I already think you are a real teacher with real stories about real students.

Unknown said...

Aaww, that's sweet.

Anonymous said...

I haven't even watched ONE full episode of The Hills.


I'm looking forward to that picture of J being posted up, zoomed in on his face. lol.