Thursday, August 12, 2010

Epic Relay

I just dropped Alan off at the airport. He's headed to Utah for a relay race that starts in Logan, Utah, goes through Idaho, and ends in Wyoming. You know, that really ugly part of the country with mountains and rivers and trees and other ugly stuff.

It's called an "epic relay" and involves 12-member co-ed teams (one member being his best bud from college) with each participant running 3 legs, for a total of 191 miles. Pure craziness. I'm not sure how they work out all of the logistics, but he had to take a sleeping bag for possible sleeping in the middle of nowhere and a headlamp for running at night. Alan can handle the distances (he ran 19 miles on Sunday), but the altitude makes a huge difference when you're not used to it.

The race starts at midnight tonight and ends sometime on Saturday. Hopefully family in the area will understand that he has no time to stop and visit. But it sounds like quite the adventure, and I'm sure Alan will have lots of stories when he gets back home on Sunday.

If you're interested: http://www.epicrelays.com/running-relay-utah-wyoming.html.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Turns out the website was wrong - Alan says they're not starting until 9:00 a.m. tomorrow.

her said...

They start all the teams at different times, so they will finish about the same time. I was on the team last year. Alan is taking my place, since I just had a baby. I hope he has a great time. I must say, I am a big jealous. Can't wait to hear all the stories.

Joe said...

Your husband is an idiot, he already wants to do it again. Unfortunately me and my big sister had a brilliant idea. Stay tuned..

He did great though, after the second leg (when he ran up and then down a mt pass) he just kept running because he was having such a great time!

He will have 200 stories, and at least one will involve a 'dirty sanchez'

Unknown said...

I heard about the dirty sanchez - I'm happy to say I didn't know what that was but am not surprised that you knew! :-) Anyway, glad he had a good time and was with some good people. I'd like to hear the brilliant idea.