Sunday, September 24, 2006

Authorial switch.

Call it a case of a pinch-writer charging the mound. ;]

I typically try to avoid burdening my wife's blog with my run-on style, but it has been an all around good day and it couldn't be avoided any longer. It has been a phenomenal day here. It was one of those days where you can't even put your finger on what made life good, you just know that everything 'fit'. The high here today was in the 60's and that gave the air a wonderfully crisp fall feel, with little or no breeze and plenty of sunshine and the occasional high cloud. Both girls were home and in pretty good moods and the cat was typically mischievious which made him entertaining. The promise of fall in the air and the thought of mowing my yard without being absolutely pummeled by the heat, humidity, and my allergies absolutely sent me soaring. As an aside, may God, in his or her infinite wisdom, shower the creators of Claritin with blessings - as I would have had to shoot someone during the last 3 weeks under the hail of body blows my immune system has delivered without that fabulous drug.

Tanya and I make a good couple for a number of reasons, but our mutual love of food is very near the top of that list. When Tanya and I got around to starting dinner tonight we agreed that we would try a recipe from the food network. I can't remember the name of the show but I can tell you that Giada De Laurentiis is so good that I could watch her show on mute or without the picture and either way I would be in heaven. What did we try? Bruschetta with gorgonzola cheese drizzled in honey. Actually, we modified it to suit us, but it was a fantastically light and tasty meal. First we picked up a flute of jalapeno sourdough bread from the day old bread rack (yes, I remain a skinflint). We followed that up with two gorgeous tomatoes, the gorgonzola, and two kinds of lettuce. The menu for this evening was the bruschetta, salad, sliced tomato with salt and pepper, sliced bell pepper, and Robert Mondavi's Private Selection Johannisburg Riesling (2004).

Perhaps capturing the essence of what made today so spectacular is beyond my ability to express but let me leave you with the fact that the air was just electric. Not 4th quarter game winning drive electric, more like drag out the hammock and thank God for putting you here-and-now electric. I recently heard a radio talk show host that I respect explain to a listener the difference between want and need. He patiently told the listener that merely by the fact of living in North America that the listener really didn't NEED anything because they wanted neither for food nor shelter nor clothing nor transport nor employment. Religous discussion holds little interest for me these days, but today I'm thankful to my creator for all the things that have made me who I am so that I could 'suck the marrow' of today.

7 comments:

DeeBee said...

WOW, what a day! And the food review was just what you would expect from a review...poetic like with words that I had never heard of before. I almost got lost which is what I always do when someone throws in words or items that I've never been subjected to. Probably my sheltered style of living.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I had never heard of skinflint before. And I had no idea I was eating from a flute of bread. :-)

DeeBee said...

Exactly!!

Unknown said...

And Alan left out the sauteed mushrooms. The only part I really contributed to the meal.

mel... said...

So if I ever come visit you guys in Midland can I expect a delicious meal? I'll even bring wine from my Private Selection.

Unknown said...

Alan was just waiting for someone to make fun of him for sounding hoity-toity. Thank God an old friend was there to oblige! Don't forget Melissa, he has a master's degree. ;-)

Sixtyfeet said...

Tanya, you should ask to see some of his old tests from Tech. I can't remember, but I am fairly sure that it was he who wrote like 2 paragraphs of absolute nothing.

I won't complain, absolute nothing is just fine as long as it is written well, and it was.