Monday, June 19, 2006

Nut-N-Honey

It was one of those busy weekends: a BBQ Friday night, a wedding on Saturday, drag races that night, manual labor around the house most of Sunday, and then Father's Day stuff that evening. Is it wrong that my favorite part of the weekend was laying my head on the arm of the loveseat Saturday night and drifting off to sleep?

The BBQ was okay. The host was a fairly new engineer that likes to boss the summer interns around. It's getting on my nerves. But everyone else was fun and we had a good time with them. The wedding was pretty, but good Lord, people -- don't have outdoor weddings in June in West Texas. It's just a bad idea. I nearly gagged when the lady in front of me in her spaghetti-strapped dress was dripping sweat from underneath her arms. You had to be there.

The drag races were cool. These were mostly modified street cars (I heard Alan use that term), but we also got to see a few funny cars. Those were really cool! I was taken back to my childhood when we would go as a family out to the demolition derbies or other races, and I could be found covering my ears from the engine noise. To say the least, the drag races were really, really LOUD. And Alan got hit on the head by a rock thrown by a redneck kid from behind the stands. Apparently drag races are redneck magnets. If some of these people spent as much on their teeth and clothing as they do on their cars and tobacco, they might not appear so rednecky. Still, it was fun to do something different for a change.

That's all - nothing much on my mind, hence the subject line. Remember that cereal commercial?

1 comment:

DeeBee said...

I had to laugh that Alan got hit on the head with a rock. I'm sure it wasn't funny, but it just struck me that way at first. Sorry Alan.