Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Late night rant

WHAT-THE-HELL??

Let's review: I have made a concerted effort over the last few months to eat more of the good things and cut out more of the bad. I've also managed portions, I've gotten some (okay, a little) exercise, and more importantly I've passed up some pretty yummy snacks at about 2:30 in the afternoon and 10:00 at night. Those are difficult times of the day! And so because of these things that they say you're supposed to do, I was expecting some good news on my blood work. In fact, I'm the one who requested that additional blood work be done at my yearly visit (before I knew that my old age would require it anyway) because 1) I find it interesting, and 2) I figured at the very least my cholesterol numbers would be awesome. And okay, maybe 3) I was hoping my thyroid would have been a little out of whack, and therefore they'd give me a magic pill to get it back in shape and wipe away a handful of pounds in the process.

But, noooo! I get a call from the nurse wanting to "discuss" my cholesterol level of 221, which is about 21 points higher than they would like to see! So I've a got a message for they: Screw it! I'd say something else but Daddy reads my blog, and I don't think he wants to hear his daughter use such words.

Alas, I have nothing to show for my efforts. Zippo. Even on vacation, do you know what I bought myself to snack on in the condo for the week? A tray of veggies and some watermelon. And yeah, maybe a little cheese, but I WAS ON VACATION! I didn't touch the ice cream or the soda, plus I made an effort to find the new Egg Beaters at the grocery store (to no avail). I had a mere handful of Cheetos at the beach. I'm telling you, that's will power, baby. And okay, there was that one day that I had four Krispy Kreme donuts, but I WAS ON VACATION! And did I mention the fact that we walked who knows how many miles over the course of the week? I'm surprised my $3.00 Old Navy flip-flops don't have holes in them.

Yet it gets me nowhere, so here I am up very late with a headache, and I absolutely WILL go in that kitchen and get something satisfying to eat. I seem to recall some double stuffed oreos that Leigh bought while he was housesitting for us. Heck, I might as well drink the whole milk he bought to wash them down!

1 comment:

DeeBee said...

I had the same thing happen to me. I don't eat quite as well as you but I do cut back on some things or make modifications and my cholesterol was high, plus I can't lose weight to save my soul.