Thursday, July 24, 2008

Unsettling

Something disturbing happened this week, and I'll just tell you this is not leading up to something funny. On my lunch break Wednesday I was driving behind a black SUV, and I saw something hanging from the vehicle, underneath the chassis in the center. It was almost dragging the ground, so I was curious and wanted to take a better look. As I got closer, I could see the legs of a cat - a gray tabby cat with white paws, much like Junior, only this cat was so small. I was horrified! It was clearly dead. Or was it even real? I thought maybe it was some kind of sick joke, some stuffed toy tied to the car for the shock value of passing drivers. But it was very, very realistic.

In retrospect, I'm embarrassed to say I didn't follow the car. I was in a hurry, running Bailey on an errand on my lunch break, and I'll admit I often have an unrealistic obsession with being on time to EVERYTHING. So rather than follow the car to find out if it was real or staged, I stayed on schedule to make it back to class on time. If I hadn't been in a hurry, I would've followed that car to its destination and either been the bearer of bad news or one pissed off maniac. (This is the part where Alan will cringe because he knows of my propensity or at least my desire to chase people down and have a come-to-Jesus-meeting.)

I can't shake the idea that it might have been a joke. For now, I won't be able to drive around without looking for that SUV.

No comments: