Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Shut UP!!!!

I don't want to sound racist, I really don't. It's narrow-minded, hateful, ignorant, and dangerous. Having said that, I see no reason to make excuses for the 90% hispanic audience at the dollar movie Sunday night (and I'm being generous with the 90% - I'm thinking Alan and I were perhaps the only white people.) They were loud, inconsiderate, and could apparently care less about their kids' behavior. After being bopped repeatedly in the head, getting my hair pulled, and having both our chairs kicked about 10 times, Alan and I finally got up and moved to the back. And then there was the loud talking, not whispering. Not to mention the random, outright SHOUTING during the movie.

Like I said, I'm not making excuses for this audience. If this were a fairly diverse group of people, I could mention that. If it were largely white trash, I could mention that. It could have been a group of doctors and lawyers and I could mention that, too. Maybe instead I should describe the audience as low-income, for after all we were at the dollar theater. But then I would be making assumptions. My point is that however unfair and ignorant stereotyping is, there are experiences that can influence our opinions of people if we allow it. But I'm not going to go there - I'm just going to chalk it up as Asshole Night At The Theater.

And besides, I happen to have a 13-year old daughter who, while hanging out with large groups of white middle-class kids at the "regular" theater, has been kicked out more times than I want to know. A number of non-white movie goers have probably gone home many times complaining about those spoiled, inconsiderate white kids.

4 comments:

her said...

And there goes the positively better week.

DeeBee said...

lol!! I love Heather's comment.

Unknown said...

Ouch. To both of you. :-)

Anonymous said...

Mike says "Remember the Alamo!"