Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A learning experience

Holy Cow. This may go down in my student teaching journal (if I really had one) as the day the shit hit the fan. I was having way too many behavior problems in class this afternoon, during a time I wasn't supposed to be teaching anyway. So not only was the lesson thrown at me (which I don't mind) but the kids thought that when the regular teacher left the room, it was time to go crazy. Let's just say the class and I had to have a little pow-wow. And twice today I had to take someone out in the hall for a "discussion." Fine, go tell your mama. I documented everything and will be MORE than happy to speak with her.

On top of that, they were really having some difficulty with the grammar lesson from yesterday and today. My mentor teacher assures me I am teaching it well and am actually being more thorough than she would be. Did I mention she's awesome? But they just aren't getting it. That bothers me more than the discipline problems, but I know it's too soon to expect wonders from average to below-average students. I know they can grasp this, so I'm still determined to get this concept through to them. Tomorrow is a new day.

Another tidbit I have been told is that white teachers are often accused of being racist. I can honestly say, although it sounds very trite, that I don't feel I am seeing the color of anyone's skin. There's a little white boy who gets in trouble as much as a certain little black boy and a certain little hispanic boy. BUT, I am warned, this doesn't matter. You will be accused at some point so just get ready for it and document, document, document.


No comments: