Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Neighbors

Last night our neighbors across the street, whom we rarely talk to, brought us an interesting version of shrimp cocktail. They took margarita glasses and filled them with a spicy tomato juice mixture, chunks of avocado, cucumbers, shrimp of course, cilantro and maybe green onion. They put the glasses on plates with crackers and lemon wedges. It was so good, but I'm not sure we've done anything at all to deserve that. In fact, I'm certain we haven't. Some people just do nice things for others. I wonder what that's like.

Why didn't we invite them in? That was probably an obvious faux-pas that Alan and I just missed. Would it be in bad taste to return the glasses (because I'm thinking we need to return them) filled with chocolates or candy? I don't like giving a gift just because someone gave me one, because it's obviously a copy-cat gesture. I think we return the empty glasses and suggest we get together for a BBQ with a couple of the other neighbors soon.

Suggestions?

6 comments:

DeeBee said...

My etiquette skills are not sharp at all but just look at where I come from? I've submitted your question to an etiquette expert because I've run into problems like this at times too and want to know what's right. Thought it would be fun to see what they say. I'll let you know.

her said...

I can't wait to find out what the expert says, but I suggest the BBQ or dinner. The cocktail sounded fantastic. Let us know what you do!!

DeeBee said...

The expert says: In my neck of the woods,you don't return a plate
to a friend or neighbor without something on it! So,yes, by all means, fill those glasses if you wish. There is no reason why you can't use the time to also tell them what a good time you had and make tenative plans to get together for the BBQ.


What the heck is she talking about "tell them what a good time you had"? I never said you did anything. So much for the expert.

Unknown said...

Thanks for checking into that - who's your source by the way? :-)I think I will get some chocolates or something then. I still feel like a copy-cat, but these neighbors have also in the past brought us tamales and she had some extra flowers (to plant) that she gave me. I think our time to give back is way overdue. Duh.

Sixtyfeet said...

Invite them over for the bbq and serve a similar dish at said bbq in the glasses. Don't let Alan prepare the dish.

Unknown said...

Update. Filled the glasses with a bunch of hershey's chocolates and took them over. Seemed to go over well. Glad I took someone else's advice instead of my own!